Kestrels comeback twice to take three points – Reading Today Online

Woodley United v Amersham Town

In an action packed match that saw six different goal scorers, Woodley United twice came behind from to win against Langley.

A penalty scored, a penalty saved, players cautioned and dismissed and a second half played in rain ended with Woodley taking the spoils over fourth placed Langley.

The visitors kicked off in a feisty opening 15 minutes that saw a booking for one of their players and manager.

During this period Killian Barratt comfortably caught a Langley corner while the visitors’ Ed Clements shot over the crossbar from 20 yards.

The opening three goals of the game came from corner kicks. George Dewhurst opened the scoring in the 16th minute when he was allowed unchallenged to poke home a corner for Langley.

However, their lead was short lived as three minutes later Kevin DeBarros levelled the scores direct from his corner kick with the ball going over visiting keeper Ryan Burke and inside the far post.

Both teams saw free kicks blocked by defensive walls either side of Burke denying Sid Gbla for a corner kick when the Woodley forward was one on one with the keeper.

There was controversy in the 38tht minute when the referee awarded Langley a penalty kick, only for the decision to be overturned once he had spoken to his assistant and play restart with a Woodley drop ball due to Clements losing his footing on the heavy pitch rather than fall due to Jakub Jeczalik’s challenge.

Langley restored their lead in the 41st minute following a dispute as to whether the ball had fully gone out of play that saw DeBarros sent to the sin bin.

The corner kick was played to George Nicolas on the edge of Woodley’s penalty area and his shot deflected off Clements and into the home team’s goal net.

Again the lead was short lived with Gbla levelling from the penalty spot, following a foul on Connor Richarson a minute before half time.

Two minutes later, Woodley had appeals for another penalty kick turned down when it appeared Gbla, while in possession of the ball was pushed over.

Six minutes into the second half United took the lead. Manny Adu Essah headed a Langley corner clear to Gbla who in turn found DeBarros of the left hand side.

The winger ran infield in the Langley half passing to Richardson, who dummied a defender to curl the ball into the bottom left hand corner of the net from 18 yards.

Two minutes later Gbla fired over the crossbar from a tight angle.

Woodley was in the ascendancy that saw a Connor Suckling shot deflected for a corner kick to be followed shortly afterwards with United being awarded a free kick in the visitors’ half on their left touch line.

Richardson put the kick to the far post where centre back Josh Nwokobia calmly stroked the ball through Burke’s legs and into the goal.

Three minutes later Langley had an opportunity to reduce the deficit. Adu Essah was dismissed for a second caution that saw the referee award another penalty following a challenge on Bradley Simmonds.

Barratt saved Clements’ kick which saw the loose ball cleared for a throw-in. Burke saved well from Gbla while Barratt denied the visitors with a good save in the eighty fourth minute.

Langley was reduced to ten men with five minutes of normal time remaining when Chevy Hart was sent to the sin bin.

With both sides having equal numbers United saw out the remainder of the match and take the match points

Woodley United: Barratt, Adu Essah, Jeczalik, Carmichael, Hok, Nwokobia, DeBarros (Brandao), Lambourne. Gbla (Edwards), Suckling (Bossman), Richardson (Davies) Sub not used: Chowdhary

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *