Kestrels frustrated in draw after conceding late – Reading Today Online

Woodley United v Bagshot.

IT WAS a case of two points dropped for Woodley United who conceded a late equaliser in a match where they enjoyed good possession but were wasteful in front of goal.

Despite the rain of the previous week, the soft pitch played well with the hosts starting strongly with Connor Suckling and Agbor-ya Ojong finding plenty of space on the wings and causing the defence problems when running at defenders.

The opening 15 minutes saw Harris tip Mo Davies’ shot from distance over the crossbar for a corner kick, Suckling putting a low cross into the goal area that evaded on coming players and Tahir Carmichael narrowly shooting wide of Harris’ left hand post.

Woodley United v Bagshot Pictures: Steve Smyth

Against this pressure, Bagshot showed glimpses of danger on the counter attack with forward Asher Pottinger holding the ball up well and showing good movement that troubled the home defenders.

Home keeper Killian Barrett was called on to catch a ball on the goal line and block a shot from Aaron Fower to prevent Woodley going behind midway through the half. However, United continued to press for a goal without success.

From a throw in, the hosts worked the ball into the Bagshot penalty area only for Connor Richardson to loft his shot over the crossbar.

Shortly afterwards the same player rounded Harris, passed the ball to Suckling who also put his effort over the crossbar with only a defender on the goal line to beat.

As with the first half, Woodley started the second half positively that saw Harris save for a corner from a Suckling shot following good build up play from Bakai Manneh and Carmichael.

From the resulting corner Mackenzie Creech and Josh Nwokobia both had shots blocked. Creech also went wide as he reacted to a loose ball, following a free kick, ten minutes into the half.

Barrett was required to block Filipe Daniel’s effort after a good run by the same player, but Woodley remained in the ascendency.

With 15 minutes remaining Richardson’s free kick went to Harris. Woodley achieved the breakthrough in the 81st minute when substitute Luca Albanese fired into the net after Harris had blocked Suckling’s shot.

Four minutes later, the host thought they should have been awarded a penalty when Richarson fell following a challenge from Harris as the two players contested a through ball from Suckling.

United’s lead was short lived. A Bagshot corner was punched clear by Barrett for another corner kick. With a minute of normal time remaining, Barrett appeared to be fouled as he caught the ball but play continued with Kwashie stabbing the ball into the net from very close range to level the scores.

With the game deep into stoppage time, Woodley again thought they should have been awarded a penalty kick when Richardson went down following Harris’ challenge and it was the visiting keeper who secured Bagshot a point when parrying the ball away from his goal in the last minute of the match.

Woodley United: Barrett, Davies, Jeczalik (Mabukwa), Carmichael, Nwokobia, Hok, Suckling (Upton), Creech (Brandao), Richardson, Manneh (Bossman), Ojong (Albanese)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *