Knibbs nets to see Royals collect away point – Reading Today Online

Reading FC - Harvey Knibbs

READING FC remain in 23rd place in League One after Harvey Knibbs netted to help his side pick up a point on the road at Lincoln City.

After falling behind to a deflected own goal in just the third minute, Reading finally were rewarded when Harvey Knibbs netted in the 56th minute following two disallowed goals in the first-half.

The result is just Reading’s fourth point on the road this campaign having won away at Wycombe Wanderers in their last league outing.

Following a stalemate in the local derby against Oxford United on Tuesday, Ruben Selles made just one change to his team which saw Paul Mukairu take Caylan Vickers’ place on the wing.

A sloppy start saw Reading go behind with a little over two minutes on the clock when both the midfield and defence allowed Teddy Bishop to advance without pressure before his cross took a cruel deflection off Nelson Abbey to sneak past David Button.

Paul Mukairu looked to come up with a quick response when he cut in from the left-wing and struck towards goal, forcing Lukas into a routine stop.

Lewis Wing came close when his free-kick, won by Mukairu’s positive dribble forward, whistled just wide.

Another chance for the visitors came and went when Sam Smith met Femi Azeez’s corner at the near post but headed over.

Reading had the ball in the net in the 11th minute, but had their celebrations in front of their away supporters cut short when the referee eventually blew for a free-kick.

After Andy Yiadom linked with Azeez, his whipped cross to the back post was turned in by Mukairu for a tap-in, but the referee ruled the goal out after appearing to spot a push on Lasse Sorensen before Mukairu converted.

The Royals continued to respond positively from their slow start to try and make amends but wasted a chance to take advantage of advancing numbers on the counter attack when Michael Craig’s pass was collected by the keeper.

Selles’ side had the ball in the net for the second time in the match, but were again denied, this time by the offside flag.

Yiadom smacked a shot goalwards into a crowd of bodies before Harvey Knibbs rebounded in from a tight angle only to be quickly denied by the linesman’s offside flag.

There was more cause to complain for Reading when they felt aggrieved after Dylan Duffy flew in recklessly with a sliding tackle on Wing and could count himself fortunate to only see a booking.

Lincoln keeper Jensen was then next to be cautioned for time wasting.

Despite not having a single shot throughout the entire half, the hosts found themselves a goal to the good at the break.

The Imps continued to stay compact in hope of sitting on their one-goal lead after the restart.

But Reading managed the back of the net for the third time in the game, this one not being ruled out.

Jeriel Dorsett weighted his pass perfectly to pick out Knibbs’ run who steadied himself before he calmly passed the ball into the far corner with his instep. The goal put Knibbs into double figures in all competitions.

With half an hour left, Selles brought Charlie Savage and Ben Elliott on for Craig and Mukairu.

Royals boss Ruben Selles was then shown a red card after being judged to have kicked the ball away from a Lincoln player who tried to collect to take a throw in.

Reading looked the more likely of the team’s to snatch the win, but were unable to find a winner.

Next up for Reading they host Wigan Athletic next Saturday.

Lincoln City: Jensen, O’Connor, Jackson, Eyoma, Sorensen, Hamilton, Bishop, Burroughs, Mandroiu, Makama, Duffy

Subs: Smith, Wright, Adelakun, Roughan, Mitchell, Vale, Shodipo

Reading: Button, Yiadom, Holmes, Abbey, Dorsett, Craig, Wing, Mukairu, Knibbs, Smith

Subs: Elliott, Savage, Ehibhatiomhan, Pereira, Bindon, Mbengue, Vickers

Goals: Abbey 3’ (og), Knibbs 56’

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *