Second-half tries to hosts take the win – Reading Today Online

Reading RFC

Four second half tries from Farnham blew away Reading hopes of a first away win of the season after they had kept their Surrey opponents to a two point half time lead.

Ultimately, Farnham’s quick rucking ambitious game paid dividends as they ran in a lead which Reading only managed to reduce with two late consolation tries.

Reading showed a much changed back division with five changes including one positional came under intense early pressure In the first play and in a sign of things to come the Farnham winger dropped the ball after the Reading defence was breached with the try line at his mercy.

Farnham maintained their pressure and opened their account with an unconverted try from their left-wing Simmons after eight minutes who was left clear after a flowing three-quarter movement.

Reading almost hit back with their driving line out looking like it would give some reward and this tactic almost worked as first Smith and then Pallett were stopped close to the line.

In a theme which was to be repeated during the first half Farnham came back with another good move but another dropped pass prevented them from scoring.

Reading had a good spell and the pressure showed on Farnham who gave up a series of penalties, the last one of which Sharp slotted over to reduce the Farnham lead.

Reading had a chance to take the lead when David, who had an impressive game, was first to reach his kick through and recover the ball only for the final pass to be frustrated by the covering defence.

Farnham then had a number of chances but a series of inaccurate and dropped passes stopped them from taking advantage of them to add to their lead before half time.

Farnham began the second half as they started the first putting pressure on the Reading line. They soon increased their lead from a break from a driven line out close in when their hooker crossed for an unconverted try.

Reading responded well but were unable to make anything of some good positions deep in the Farnham 22. Farnham on the other hand showed them how to do it when after a break out was initially held by Reading’s scrambling defence Farnham moved the ball to the opposite side and put the

Farnham wing Simmons clear to score in the corner which was converted with a good kick to make the score 17-3.

Farnham then quickly increased their lead to 27-3 with two more unconverted tries, both from running back Reading kicks, outstripping the defence and moving the ball wide to score.

Reading reduced this lead in the last few minutes with two tries of their own.

Firstly, after a scrum near the Farnham line the ball was moved to David who forced his way over for a try. Bailey then took advantage of a dropped ball when Farnham tried to attack from deep in their own territory and ran in to score under the posts for David to add the points. But it was too little too late.

Farnham deserved their win for their expansive play and quick rucking game and because they ultimately took advantage of their opportunities.

Reading will be ruing the fact that they lost impetus at the beginning of the second half which let their opponents build up a lead. They also couldn’t turn their possession into points until it was too late,

Reading play fellow bottom of the league team, Chichester, at home next week and will need a win to prevent themselves from being left adrift.

Tries: David, Bailey.

Conversions: David.

Penalty: Sharp

Reading RFC: Jos Clarke; Ollie Moore, Sam Bailey, Tom David, James Hancock; tom Sharp, Hayden Wheeler; Josh Pallett, Mike Bolton, Alfie Fryer; Joe Clarkson, Ryan Smith; Will Proctor-Searle (capt.), Matt Palfreyman, Joe Dottson.

Replacements: Mitch Fraser, Greg Jackson, Ben Mitchell

By Peter Chidgey

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *