Sumas’ survival hopes take a hit – Reading Today Online

Wokingham & Emmbrook v Holyport Pictures: Andrew Batt

Matt Cronan’s frustrated Sumas drew a blank against midtable Holyport in their Tuesday night Combined Counties League fixture and slipped to a late defeat which extended their winless league run to nine games, stretching back to October.

On balance the visitors deserved to win an entertaining and fast-paced match based on chances created.

Sumas shot-stopper Emilio Fantocchio dealt with an early Alfie Pendlebury free-kick and tipped a firm header from Port skipper Luke Appleton over the bar as the away side dominated almost the entirety of the first half hour on a heavy surface at Lowther Road.

Wokingham & Emmbrook v Holyport Pictures: Andrew Batt

The lively Duarte Surpanu showed nifty footwork in stretching the Sumas back line, only to be denied by the careful handling of Fantocchio and the Holyport winger then pulled a ball back for Andy Forisky who saw his shot deflected wide.

The Sumas grew into the game as the half wore on. Remel Larwood was introduced early on for the unfortunate Jamie Goodwin who limped off and the substitute himself began to look a threat for Wokingham.

There was nearly a farcical opening for Jamie Clark when Holyport ‘keeper drove his clearance against the legs of the recently returning Sumas man and the impressive Mikey O’Connor went close, hitting an effort off target a matter of moments before nodding over Archie Collier’s cross.

In between times, Leonardo De Carvalho-Pedro crashed a shot into the side-netting of Fantocchio’s goal and the Summerleaze side were frustrated at not making the most of a couple of desperate scrambles in front of the Wokingham goal.

The second period largely followed the same pattern as the first – Holyport dominance with Sumas a threat on the break.

Substitute Joshua Boorn saw his half-volley parried by Fantocchio and De Carvalho-Pedro lifted an effort over the top as chances came and went.

Midway through the half however the home side had two gilt-edged opportunities to claim a crucial lead in a matter of minutes.

Firstly Clark scuffed an opportunity wide of the target with only North to beat and then moments later a cross from the left found O’Connor unmarked at the far post and he put that presentable opening over the top. Sumas would pay for their profligacy.

A brilliant save from Fantocchio at his near post kept out Khyreece Smith-Reid after good work by Surpanu and just as it looked like this game would end goalless a breakthrough came inside the final five minutes.

This time it was fine work down the right by the impressive Joshua Addae which set up substitute Kickie Dzimba to move into double figures for Holyport for the season and prompt wild celebrations.

There was still time for Appleton to prod a free-kick from Smith-Reid wide at the near post as Holyport held on comfortably through a period of six minutes of added time to record a third-straight win.

By Neil Maskell

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *